Child and Spousal Support Attorneys

Both parents are expected to provide financial support for children. We can also help you seek additional child support if your children's needs change or if your ex-spouse is withholding funds.

Schedule A Consultation

The first step is a discussion with our team about your vision for your future.

Contact Us

Fredericksburg Child Support and Spousal Support Attorneys

At Strentz Greene & Coleman, we know how important it is to have the proper support after a divorce. Ensuring that you have the child and spousal support you need after a divorce can make a world of difference in your life and in the life of your children.

Should You Hire A Family Law Attorney To Help With Child Support or Spousal Support Matters?

If you’re going through a divorce, it’s important that you have experienced legal representation in order to obtain your desired child and spousal support.

While Virginia does have a very low minimum amount of child support that needs to be paid out to the primary parent with custody of the child, that amount isn’t always going to meet your needs.

Additionally, there is no absolute entitlement to spousal support in Virginia, so if you feel as though you’re not being properly supported financially after divorce, an attorney can help you get the financial compensation you deserve from your ex-partner.

What Is Child Support and Spousal Support, and What Are the Requirements?

Virginia has very strict laws when it comes to child support payments and the courts are extremely unlikely to waive child support for a part, or even limit the amount that should be paid each month. Additionally, in Virginia, both parents are obligated to support their children financially–whether they’re married or not. Virginia allows parents to negotiate child support payments during the process of mediation. If mediation is an option for both parties, this can be a great way to decide on the amount of financial support each person will contribute without having to go to court. However, if you and your ex-partner are unable to reach a decision during mediation, or mediation is not an option, a child support plan will be made in court.

While child support is a necessity in Virginia, you are not entitled to spousal support. Otherwise known as alimony, spousal support is granted on an indefinite basis meaning it can be raised or lowered at any time depending on a variety of circumstances. For example, if you’ve separated from your partner and are receiving spousal support from them, but you decide to cohabitate with someone of the opposite sex, your spousal support can be revoked.

Additionally, if you were married for less than five years to the partner you’re seeking spousal support from, it’s less than likely that you’ll be granted any financial support at all. Of course, there are circumstances that might change your ability to get support, but it’s unlikely.

What Are The Benefits of Hiring An Attorney At Our Fredericksburg Family Law Firm?

If you’re seeking child support or spousal support in Virginia, it’s important that you have an attorney experienced in Virginia law. Additionally, the attorneys at Strentz Greene & Coleman are ready to help provide:

  • Exceptional Advice
  • Experienced Negotiations
  • Aggressive Representation
  • Peace of Mind

Contact a Fredericksburg A Family Law Attorney Today To Discuss Your Child Support Or Spousal Support Questions.

Do you believe your ex-spouse should be paying more for child or spousal support? Are you looking to change the parameters of your child or spousal support agreement? The legal team at Strentz Greene & Coleman can help. Our attorneys can provide you with the guidance and support that you need during this time.

While every family is different, we understand the fundamentals of seeking child and spousal support, no matter your situation. We can help you understand your rights regarding child and spousal support and work with you to develop a plan that works for you and your family. Strentz Greene & Coleman can help you establish support or modify an existing support order, as well as help you calculate child support payments and determine the amount and duration of spousal support.

You don’t have to face the complexities of child and spousal support alone. If you’re looking to establish support or modify an existing support order, call us at (540) 479-1511 or contact us through our website to schedule a consultation with our attorneys.

// Copyright Year to Current Year Webflow.push(function() { $('.cr-y').text(new Date().getFullYear()); });